Project 2: Surface Design

Objective:

Taking inspiration from one or more surface design(s) we find (in the real world!), create a geometric surface design sample using 2D tools explored in Rhino.

Patterns in the wild: The patterns are taken from clothing and bedding that I found as I thought that would be the easiest way to find multiple examples of patterns.




















The patterns that inspired my design: The patterns that I chose to use for inspiration for my design are the two seen below. Both of the designs are very intricate and luxurious and could be seen on something as simple as bedding, or something as fancy as a designer product. 




My design: My design draws directly from the original designs for the individual components, and then I just arranged the different designs into a grid to create a repeating pattern. My refined design could be seen on very similar surfaces to that of the original (bedspreads, clothing, fabric, bandanas, flooring, etc). The design could even be seen in designer brands if different colour palettes are explored as well. My main focus for this project was mastering 2D tools in Rhino so for the most part I did stick to the original design you see above. Because of the intricate design and detail, the scale of the design would have to be a considered factor when it comes to actually putting it on a surface (if the design is too small the detail will be lost). To address this, perhaps another simpler version could be made as well so that the design could be used at multiple scales.


A closer look: 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 1 - Castle